Special Education Notice of Class Action Lawsuit
On July 2, 2009, the Southern District of Ohio granted the parties' Second Joint Motion for Preliminary Approval of Partial Class Action Settlement in the case of John Doe, et al., v. State of Ohio, et al., Case No. 2:91-cv-464 (Doe v. State of Ohio).
The partial settlement, which is reflected in a Consent Order, concerns certain claims regarding the State of Ohio's procedures for implementing the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Improvement Act of 2004) (IDEA). The Consent Order can be found at the link below, as can be found a link to a notice describing the lawsuit, the proposed settlement and upcoming proceedings on this matter.
Notice of Class Action Lawsuit (John Doe, et al., vs. State of Ohio et al)
Notice of Class Action Lawsuit (John Doe, et al., vs. State of Ohio et al) Consent Order
A change in state law now allows potential graduates who finished high school, having completed all required coursework and passing all but one section of the Ohio Graduation Test, to receive their high school diploma. To qualify, students must have:
- passed all required high school curriculum;
- passed four sections of the Ohio Graduation Test;
- received a score of 390 or higher on the section of the OGT not passed;
- a 97% attendance rate, excluding excused absences;
- no expulsions;
- a 2.5 GPA in the test area not passed;
- a 97% attendance rate in intervention programs;
- a letter of recommendation for graduation from high school teacher specific to test area not passed;
- and a letter recommending graduation from principal.
If you qualify for the graduation alternative, work with your principal to complete the required paperwork
Parents can request teacher qualifications
Eastern Local School District is 100 percent committed to quality education. We hire the most qualified, professional staff to guide your children through the education process.
Curious about these classroom pros? We have the following information available for your convenience and peace of mind:
- whether or not the Ohio Department of Education has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grades and subjects he/she teaches;
- whether or not the Ohio Department of Education has licensed the teacher to teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of special circumstances;
- whether or not the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject(s) of the degrees; and/or
- whether or not teachers' aides or similar paraprofessionals provide services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.
To request any of this information, contact the Eastern Local School District, 50008 SR 681, Reedsville, OH 45772; or call (740)667-6079
Notification of Rights Under FERPA for Elementary and Secondary Schools
ELSD FERPA Notification Letter
Federal Title Programs Input and Inquiry Information
The Eastern Local School District Board of Education allows for public participation during its regular monthly meetings including inquiries and/or input regarding the planning and application of Eastern Local School District’s federal title programs (Title I, II-A Teacher Quality, II-D Technology, Title IV IDEA, Safe and Drug Free, Early Childhood Special Education IDEA, and any of their ARRA counterparts). If you are interested in participating in a public forum concerning the allocations of these resources, please contact one of the following with your request:
Bill Francis, ELSD Federal Programs Coordinator – email@example.com ph. 740-985-3304
Jody Howard, Local District Coordinator or Special Services – firstname.lastname@example.org ph. 740-985-3304
Ohio Parent Information and Resource Center
The Ohio Parent Information and Resource Center (PIRC) is funded by the US Department of Education. Its mission is to empower all parents and families by providing information, resources and training to support children’s learning and enhance the environments in which they grow.
A Parents Guide to the Rights of Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness
Eastern Local School District Title I Parent Involvement Policy
Title I Parent Involvement Policy (pdf)
Eastern Local School District Title I School-Home Compact
Title I School-Home Compact (pdf)